Mobility Portal, Spain
Date: July 2, 2024
Mobility Portal Favicon
By Mobility Portal

Numbers multiply: Norway registers 14,009 new electric cars

According to OFV, the number of new electric car registrations nearly doubled from May, with more than 14,000 new units hitting Norway's roads. Three of the five best-selling models are manufactured in China.
Tesla Model Y Norway

In June, 14,009 new electric cars were registered in Norway, marking a significant increase compared to the previous month.

According to the Norwegian Public Roads Administration (OFV), the number of new electric car registrations nearly doubled from May, with more than 14,000 new electric vehicles (EVs) hitting the roads of the Scandinavian country.

This figure represents an increase of 6,116 units compared to May and an uptick of 1,208 EVs compared to June 2023, which saw 12,801 new electric cars.

This corresponds to a 9.4 per cent increase year-on-year.

The share of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) among all new registrations rose to 80.0 per cent in June, recovering from a dip to 77.0 per cent in May, though it did not reach the 89.4 per cent recorded in April 2024.

Norway’s overall car market also bounced back from the low numbers seen in May, which were not indicative of a downturn in e-mobility but rather a general decline in registrations.

In May, only 10,253 new cars were registered across all types. In contrast, June saw 17,512 new car registrations of all drive types, reflecting a 12.5 per cent increase compared to the same month last year.

In addition to the 14,009 pure electric cars, there were 931 new plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) registered in June, well above the monthly average for the year so far (234 PHEVs).

Despite this strong performance, the overall number of PHEV registrations in the first half of 2024 remains more than 55 per cent below the level seen in the first half of 2023.

PHEVs accounted for 5.3 per cent of the market in June. Combined with the 80 per cent share of BEVs, this means that 85.3 per cent of all new cars in Norway had a charging connection.

Looking at other drive types, “non-rechargeable” hybrids, including mild and full hybrids, saw 2,050 new registrations, an increase of 149.1 per cent compared to June 2023. Hybrids (excluding PHEVs) had a market share of 11.7 per cent.

Petrol cars (1.0 per cent) and diesel cars (2.0 per cent) have now become niche markets in Norway, with new registrations in the low three-digit range.

In terms of models, electric vehicles unsurprisingly dominated.

After leading the monthly statistics for two consecutive months, the Tesla Model Y regained the top spot in June with 2,324 new registrations.

The Tesla Model 3, imported from Giga Shanghai, came in second with 1,334 new vehicles.

The Toyota Yaris, responsible for the majority of hybrid registrations, ranked third with 1,290 new registrations.

It was followed by the MG4 (1,171), another purely electric car, and the Volvo EX30, which saw 1,080 new registrations.

It is noteworthy that three of the five best-selling models are manufactured in China.

As a non-EU country, Norway is not affected by the impending special tariffs, raising questions about whether more electric cars from Chinese production will be directed to Norway instead of other European markets in the future.

Other notable models in the June statistics include the VW ID.4, which secured sixth place with 834 new registrations, followed by the Toyota bZ4X (765), the Toyota RAV4 (573), the Audi Q4 e-tron (543), the MG Marvel R (527), the MG ZS EV (455), and the Hyundai Kona (452).

Separator Single Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *