Scania, a leader in the development of electric buses and sustainable transport solutions, is unveiling its latest innovation, the Scania battery-electric bus platform, at Busworld.
This platform is part of Scania’s comprehensive e-mobility solutions, covering vehicles, services, and systems.
It introduces low-entry 4×2 buses with batteries offering an impressive energy storage capacity of up to 520 kWh, specifically designed for heavy commercial vehicles, providing a range of over 500 km in optimal conditions.
Scania’s Commitment to Electrification
The company has been committed to electrification since conducting field tests of hybrid electric buses as early as 2007.
With the launch of the new battery-electric bus platform and complementary e-mobility solutions, the firm takes significant steps on its electrification journey.
The company aims to meet Science-Based Targets for CO2 reduction and provide silent zero-emission transport worldwide.
Complete E-Mobility Offering
Scania’s e-mobility offering includes site energy and operational analysis, charging units, financing, installation, and various services.
This comprehensive approach guides customers throughout the implementation process, ensuring reliable and efficient operations.
Low-Entry 4×2 Buses with Sustainable Batteries
The initial introduction of the Scania battery-electric bus platform features low-entry 4×2 buses developed in collaboration with bodybuilder partners.
These buses come in two variants: a four-battery model with a 416 kWh capacity and a five-battery model with a 520 kWh capacity.
Under optimal conditions, the former offers a range of over 400 km, while the latter provides over 500 km.
Enhancements and Features
- Improved Electric Machine: The new electric machine is more powerful, with a peak operation of 300 kW and continuous operation at 250 kW, thanks to an integrated cooling system and updated control system.
- Sustainable Batteries: Scania’s batteries are developed and produced sustainably in partnership with Northvolt, ensuring quality and environmental responsibility throughout the production process and supply chain.
- Faster Charging: Updated battery packs and a battery management system allow faster charging, and a robust charging port placement enhances convenience.
- Enhanced Safety: Multiple advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), additional safety features, and strong protection against cyber security threats ensure the safest possible operation.
- Digital and Smart: Scania’s buses are equipped with advanced digital functionalities, from safety functions to real-time maps and over-the-air capabilities. The Smart Dash instrument panel provides wireless updates and full integration with other digital touchpoints, enhancing the driver experience and operational efficiency.
“During the development of our new battery electric bus platform, range, performance, and battery responsibility have been key areas – all crucial to achieving viable and sustainable transport systems,” says Carl-Johan Lööf, Head of Product Management, People Transport Solutions at Scania.
“Combined with our latest e-mobility services and solutions, this means we will provide complete and highly competitive solutions for urban applications in all our current regions,” he adds.
The launch of the Scania battery-electric bus platform reflects Scania’s dedication to sustainable development and its focus on minimizing environmental impact throughout the value chain.